Another Woman Comes Forward To Accuse Bill Cosby Of Rape
Another woman who claims she was raped by Bill Cosby has spoken out about her encounter with the embattled comedian.
In an essay on Hollywood Elsewhere, music industry publicist and journalist Joan Tarshis claims that Cosby sexually assaulted her twice in 1969 when she was 19. The former actress and Cosby were both working at Universal Studios, and she said he took an interest in her.
Cosby often pushed alcohol on her, Tarshis said, and on one instance when the two had been working on material together, she fell unconscious at his bungalow after having a cocktail he made for her.
“The next thing I remember was coming to on his couch while being undressed,” Tarshis wrote. “I thought I was being clever when I told him I had an infection and he would catch it and his wife would know he had sex with someone. But he just found another orifice to use. I was sickened by what was happening to me and shocked that this man I had idolized was now raping me. Of course I told no one.”
The second time Cosby allegedly attacked her, Tarshis claims that she had been drinking with Cosby while attending a performance at a music theater. She started to feel shaky, and “the next thing I remember was waking up in his bed back at the Sherry, naked,” Tarshis wrote.
Tarshis was prompted to share her experiences after seeing others go public with their allegations, saying “as more and more of his rape victims have come forward, all telling similar stories, the time is right to join them.”
Cosby has been dogged by accusations of sexual assault for years, and the controversy returned to the public eye after comedian Hannibal Buress called Cosby a rapist during one of his routines. Following Buress’ charge, one of Cosby’s alleged victims, Barbara Bowman, published an essay in The Washington Post, titled “Bill Cosby raped me. Why did it take 30 years for people to believe my story?”
In an interview on NPR’s “Weekend Edition” that aired Saturday (where Cosby and his wife appeared to talk about loaning works to the National Museum of African Art), Cosby, 77, didn’t say a word when host Scott Simon asked him about the allegations. In the past, Cosby has repeatedly denied these claims.
“This question gives me no pleasure, Mr. Cosby, but there have been serious allegations raised about you in recent days,” Simon said, without specifically saying what the allegations in question were.
There’s a long pause. “You’re shaking your head no. I’m in the news business, I have to ask the question: Do you have any response to those charges?” Simon said.
Another long pause. “Shaking your head no,” Simon continued, and said again: “There are people who love you who might like to hear from you about this — I want to give you the chance.” And again, no response. (Listen to the audio here.)
The interview comes a couple days after Cosby’s name quietly disappeared from the “Late Show With David Letterman” guest line-up for next week. Cosby was supposed to appear on the show on Wednesday. Then, late this week, his name was gone and replaced with talk show host Regis Philbin.
There’s no word on whether the cancellation was Cosby’s idea or the show’s. Letterman’s publicist told the Associated Press that “We can’t comment on the guest booking process.”
Considering the way the Cosby camp so blithely promoted a new Twitter game this week (the chance to “meme” Cosby by putting a clever caption under his picture), it’s possible they had no idea how severe the image crisis had become. The “meme” game ended in disaster and was pulled in a matter of hours after Twitter users started posting images like this: